Underground Cinema will begin our 10th Season of Short Film Screenings from January 2019 through to the end of August and we are now open for submissions. These monthly screenings are held in the Royal Marine Hotel in Dun Laoghaire. For our international friends, that's in County Dublin in Ireland.
The short film awards are the only awards ceremony in Ireland that recognise every aspect of the art of making short films. This year we are delighted to introduce five new categories: Best International Film, Best Student Film, Best International Music Video , Best Animated Short and Best Online Video.
The monthly screenings and end of year award ceremony are getting so big that we have to change the structure on how we accept submissions moving forward. No major changes but here they are.
1. To streamline the administration from our end and to get back to you guys quicker we are now going to use Filmfreeway for all future submissions. We use Filmfreeway for submissions for the Underground Cinema Film Festival and we find it an excellent tool for filmmakers to use, for our admin team and for our judges. Once you have submitted your film to us it will be viewed by a member of our judging panel. If your film has been selected by our screening judge, he/she will then be in touch to advise you that your film has been selected and you will be given a screening date.
2. For the past seven years we have never charged a submission fee for the monthly screenings. Moving forward there will be a submission fee of $7 which is around €6. This will help us cover some our costs insurance, website and server costs, trophies etc. Having said that we have always charged everyone front of house on the night of the screening, including those who have submitted their films. Moving forwards there will be a complementary ticket at the door to those who have submitted a film to us. if you can't make it you can give that ticket to someone else
3. This year we are about to start a new Online Film Competition. Similar to the short film scenario above, once the selection judge has viewed your submission they will be in touch to advise if your film has been selected to be screened online on the Underground Cinema website. If selected your video will be online for one month. Underground Cinema members (you can become a member on our website free of charge) can then vote for the film they enjoyed the most online. Votes will be counted and each monthly winner will be advised that their film will now be under consideration for nomination for the Best Online Film at the Underground Cinema Awards. There will be five nominees in this category.
4. With regard to the awards themselves, the awards will be presented at our annual award giving ceremony in the Royal Marine Hotel in Dun Laoghaire in November 2019 which is a ticketed event. Tickets for the vent go on sale as soon as the full list of nominees are announced. Tickets include a four course dinner, the awards ceremony and aftershow party. Nominees interested in attending must purchase their own tickets. if a nominee cannot attend and happens to win an award then we will ensure that the award gets to the winner shortly after the awards ceremony.
Award Categories - There will be five nominees in each category
Best International Film
Best Student Film
Best Supporting Actor
Best Supporting Actress
Best Production Design
Best Make Up
Best Animated Short Film
Best Music Video
Best International Music Video
Rising Star Award
Best Online Video
1. We are looking for story based films, which can be in the form of narrative (fiction), documentary (non fiction), or animation.
2. All foreign language films must include English subtitles
3. Films that have been previously screened at an Underground Cinema season of short film screenings cannot be re entered.
4. Films must be under 35 mins long.
5. By submitting your film you are agreeing for Underground Cinema to use clips from your film for promotional purposes
6. You must submit a promotional poster or still with your application
7. You must give the name of the director, writer and producer when submitting your film.
8. We do not accept films that are more then three years old.
9. We do not accept films with poor production standard (sound/video resolution less than 720p HD)
We do ask that if you do submit a film and if your film is selected for a screening, then we would hope that someone representing the film will attend on the night (exceptions of course for international films). It is also worth bearing in mind that your film could be nominated for an award in 2017. The awards ceremony will take place in the Royal Marine Hotel in November. While it is not compulsory to attend, we would hope that someone from the cast and crew would try and make the event